District Media Inc., a unique and growing start up, is seeking a full-time Finance Editor to join our team. Founded in 2013, District Media articles have been read by over 11 Million people. We are a fast growing and profitable Oregon-based startup with a team of 7 working in the United States and Asia.
This position is open to remote work.
The Finance Editor will manage a team of partners and staff writers, assign and edit their articles, and drive the content plan for our large network of personal finance blogs.
This role offers a unique opportunity to the right candidate looking to advance with a digital content operation that is expanding while others contract. Over the last four years, our business has grown from a single founder working out of coffee shops to our current team of colleagues located across the globe.
We are profitable with a proven revenue model, and we offer the chance to expand your skills by working with our marketing and social media staff alongside your editing duties. It’s a stepping stone for a seasoned editor ready to move beyond the daily editorial calendar.
Responsibilities will include:
- Managing a team of writers - Manage 4-5 writers covering personal finance, with topics ranging from improving credit scores to SBA loans to how to buy real estate for your investment portfolio.
- Building aggressive content plans - Work with our CEO, Marketing Manager, Social Media Manger, writers and content partners to develop content & topical plans.
- Generating revenue - Coordinate with our Marketing Manager and CEO to facilitate the placement of affiliate partners in our content, while also serving as a check on our commitment to editorial integrity.
- Finding and growing our audience - Working with our CEO and writers to identify the right audience for our content and make sure our articles are optimized to reach the people who are most impacted by it.
You should have a great network of sources from either covering or working in the finance world. You are passionate about teaching our eager readership how to make their personal finances succeed.
We are looking for an ambitious editor ready for the next stage of your career, to gain experience on broader business operations while continuing the editorial work you love.
Sound awesome? Then this is the job for you.
Qualifications for success:
- You have a minimum of 5 years of writing and editing finance content.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism, financial planning or related subject.
- You have experience working with writers and generating great content while developing their skills.
- You have thorough knowledge of personal finance and are interested in capital markets.
- You are high energy, and passionate about helping small businesses succeed.
- You are comfortable working in a startup environment and have a pleasant personality.
What we offer you:
- An open-minded, collaborative workplace, which will both challenge you and celebrate your work.
- The opportunity to work with bright, interesting, enthusiastic colleagues.
- Compensation of approximately $40,000 + equity.
To maintain continuity with the current editorial perspective of the business, preference will be given to applicants located in the United States with American English as their first language.
(1) A quick email of one or two paragraphs describing the reason for your interest.
(2) Links to your recent work and web presence, if any.
(3) Your resume as an attachment or a link to your LinkedIn profile.
Please send your particulars to James: email@example.com or call 202.468.6043.